Dive into the day-to-day responsibilities and required skills of a web application developer. Learn about industry growth, employment opportunity, and salary potential for those in Australia.
Web application developers are manage, maintain, and design all elements of a web application. This involves both the appearance of a website, along with technical aspects such as speed, space allocation, and content features.
Such professionals oversee every stage of the application’s development; and may sometimes work within a team, or independently under employer supervision. They may also be labelled as “web designers” if capable of doing both front-end and back-end development.
Employment for web developers is expected to grow very strongly in the coming years – from 15,000 in 2018 to 18,000 in 2023.
- Fluency in common developer languages such as HTML or PHP
- Skills in software programming and scripting languages – along with an eye for artistic, professional site design
- Well-versed in site design and development strategies for the internet
- Sharp critical thinking skills and a keen eye for detail – required in testing, modifying, debugging, and documenting code
- Excellent communication skills for corresponding with supervisors, web designers, and content producers
- Ability to develop new ideas and concepts; and clearly express them
Most web developers work full-time hours, with plenty of opportunity across most regions of Australia (with Victoria holding the largest share of workers). Those with a high-level interest in programming and multimedia creation are best suited for a role in this field.
$50,000 – $108,000 (Median: $72,000)*
Average Weekly Hours
42 hours (vs. all jobs average of 44 hours)*
Professional, Scientific, and Technical Services; Information Media and Telecommunications and Education and Training
Most Common Qualification Level
47.8% hold a Bachelor’s Degree*
Getting the skills you need is simple by studying one of our information technology courses below.
- ICT50615 – Diploma of Website Development
- ICT50118 – Diploma of Information Technology
- Certified Cybersecurity Professional