Discover what it takes to become a successful project manager – both in general and ICT-specific fields. Explore current statistics on salary, industry growth, key skills and daily job responsibilities.
Project managers are responsible for supervising large company assignments, ensuring operations run smoothly and on-track throughout each stage of the process. Their key duties involve developing strategies, setting team goals, and overseeing the overall timeline and budget of a project. They also typically delegate tasks among workers, providing their guidance, direction and support; while managing any problems that arise and providing appropriate solutions.
Employment for ICT project managers is expected to grow very strongly over the next five years, from 58,800 in 2018 to 67,000 workers in 2023.
- Strong interpersonal skills for effective collaboration with team members, departments, and stakeholders
- Current knowledge of the latest technology trends in the ICT industry
- Solid understanding of computers, electronics, and software – may be required to assist technical teams in design and development
- A fine attention to detail with sharp critical thinking skills – required during the troubleshooting or debugging stages of a project
- Ability to organise and schedule activities within a limited budget and timeframe
- Ability to lead, motivate, and delegate tasks for optimum productivity
Project managers have strong leadership and problem-solving skills, maintaining efficient performance in their teams as they oversee large company projects to their completion.
$67,000 – $148,000 (Median: $106,000)*
Average Weekly Hours
44 hours (vs. all jobs average of 44 hours)*
Professional, scientific and technical services; financial and insurance services; and information media and telecommunications
Most Common Qualification Level
42.1% hold a Bachelor’s degree*
Getting the skills you need is simple by studying one of our information technology courses below.
- ICT50615 – Diploma of Website Development
- ICT50118 – Diploma of Information Technology
- Certified Cybersecurity Professional