Explore the requirements to pursue a programming career in Australia’s ICT industry. Learn about their daily job duties, salary potential, and key skills required.
Programmers design, write, test, and maintain program code in accordance to system needs and user specifications. In addition to developing code, they further examine their applications for bugs, errors or faults; applying modifications and extra testing procedures as necessary. They work within established protocols and quality-accredited standards to ensure their programs work at an optimum industry performance.
Programmers may also offer their advice and expertise when developing proposals for software design projects, or when recommending specific software and upgrades.
Employment for this industry is expected to grow very strongly in the coming years – from 121,300 in 2018 to 146,800 in 2023.
- A thorough knowledge of electronics and computing technology – such as current hardware, software, and mobile or desktop applications
- Strong skills in technical design; including relevant techniques, tools and design principles
- An analytical or critical approach to complex problems
- Deductive and inductive reasoning skills – helps in solving common programming issues in a logical, strategic manner
- A creative mindset for developing new program concepts, ideas, and solutions to common problems
- Ability to keep up-to-date with the latest ICT trends and programming languages
Programmers are competent problem-solvers with a passion for designing and developing digital applications. Work can be found in most regions of Australia; with the professional, scientific, and technical services industry being their largest employer.
$48,000 – $119,000 (Median: $66,000)*
Average Weekly Hours
41 hours (vs. all jobs average of 44 hours)*
Professional, Scientific, and Technical Services; Financial and Insurance Services; and Public Administration and Safety
Most Common Qualification Level
55.9% hold a Bachelor’s Degree*
Getting the skills you need is simple by studying one of our information technology courses below.
- ICT50615 – Diploma of Website Development
- ICT50118 – Diploma of Information Technology
- Certified Cybersecurity Professional