Discover the daily job duties, required skills, and common qualifications to become a front-end web developer in Australia. Explore statistics on the profession including salary potential, weekly hours, and main industries of employment.
Front-end web developers are responsible for designing and implementing the visual elements that users view and interact with on a website application. They are typically supported by a back-end web developers – those who focus on the server side of web development.
Common job duties include the analysis and debugging of website code, providing technical solutions to ensure the quality and efficiency of applications. They likely work in team settings with other developers, web designers, or network specialists; communicating any web-related issues such as security, backup and disaster recovery.
Employment for web developers is expected to grow very strongly in the coming years – from 15,000 in 2018 to 18,000 in 2023.
- Excellent writing comprehension and for documenting website code, along with commenting or reporting on specific elements
- A team-player mentality with an ability to meet deadlines and collectively work towards specific requirements
- High-level knowledge of multiple programming languages
- Adaptive to new kinds or new versions of software
- Sharp programming skills for creating (and debugging) maintainable, efficient, and error-free code
- Advanced knowledge of Office applications, databases, and networks
Front-end web developers can find work in most regions of Australia, with Victoria currently holding the largest share of employment. Weekly salary potential is higher than the all-jobs average, with plenty of opportunity for full-time work.
$50,000 – $108,000 (Median: $72,000)*
Average Weekly Hours
42 hours (vs. all jobs average of 44 hours)*
Professional, Scientific, and Technical Services; Information Media and Telecommunications and Education and Training
Most Common Qualification Level
47.8% hold a Bachelor’s Degree*
Getting the skills you need is simple by studying one of our information technology courses below.
- ICT50615 – Diploma of Website Development
- ICT50118 – Diploma of Information Technology
- Certified Cybersecurity Professional