Discover the educational and skill requirements to pursue a career in database administration. Explore employment statistics, salary potential, and typical duties associated with the job.
Database administrators are tasked with designing, developing, and managing the database management systems of businesses, ensuring all are working at optimum performance. They typically plan and maintain database architecture and the data structures involved; enforcing security controls, performing regular backups, and establishing recovery procedures.
They also perform regular testing and system upgrades, resolving any issues according to quality testing guidelines. They may also provide service support in case of software or hardware malfunctions.
Employment for this industry is expected to grow in the coming years – from 43,900 in 2018 to 47,300 in 2023.
- High-level communication and interpersonal skills – required for providing employee support and liaising with vendors and suppliers
- Ability to spot and resolve (potential or present) system problems
- A sound knowledge of computers, electronics, and telecommunications systems
- An analytical and critical mindset; with an ability to thoroughly evaluate systems and ways to improve them
- Top-notch writing skills and reading comprehension – required for preparing, maintaining, and analysing documentation
- Knowledge of quality security controls and how to implement them
Database administration is large occupation in Australia’s ICT industry, with high salary potential and work found in most regions of the country. Those with high-level skills in analytical problem-solving, computer literacy, and team collaboration are best suited for this career.
$50,000 – $108,000 (Median: $72,000)*
Average Weekly Hours
40 hours (vs. all jobs average of 44 hours)*
Professional, Scientific, and Technical Services; Public Administration and Safety and Financial and Insurance Services
Most Common Qualification Level
38.3% hold a Bachelor’s Degree*
Getting the skills you need is simple by studying one of our information technology courses below.
- ICT50615 – Diploma of Website Development
- ICT50118 – Diploma of Information Technology
- Certified Cybersecurity Professional